Tom Mannion is the Senior Director of Student Activities and Programs at the Office of Residential Experience and the instructor of Caltech’s cooking class. These are two recipes from his collection!
Smoked Salmon Tartare
- One side of smoked salmon
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup finely chopped chives
- EVO to moisten
- Salt to taste (tbsp?)
- Creme fraiche and chive tips to garnish
- Chop up salmon, add chives and shallots, moisten with EVO.
- Sprinkle and stir salt to taste.
- Place some on crostini/cracker/etc. Squirt dollop of creme fraiche. Garnish with chive tips.
Goat cheese mousse and parmesan cups
- Parmesan reggiano cheese fully grated
- Goat cheese
- White pepper
- Italian parsley
- Place a tablespoon of cheese in a 2-3 inch ring made on a silpat (on baking sheet).
- Cook cheese at 350 F until golden brown.
- Remove cheese disc and center on a compartment of an egg carton - push in to make a tulip like cheese cup (must be done while cheese is hot and soft).
- Place 1 log goat cheese, Italian parsley fine chopped parsley, dash of white pepper and 4 teaspoons cream in the food processor, mix until fluffy and consistent.
- Fill cups with mousse. Garnish with parsley.